RAWALPINDI: The Pakistan Army on Wednesday withdrew its earlier statement rejecting a notification from the Prime Minister’s Office on Dawn Leaks.
“The tweet on April 29, 2017, was not aimed at any government office or person. Recommendations as contained in paragraph 18 of the inquiry committee report, duly approved by the Prime Minister, have been implemented, which has settled the Dawn Leaks issue,” the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said in a statement.
Accordingly, the ISPR said Twitter post stands withdrawn and has become unnecessary.
Army also reiterated its firm commitment and continued resolve to uphold the country’s Constitution and support the democratic process.
In the controversial story attributed to unnamed sources, Dawn’s Cyril Almeida had reported that in the October 3, 2016, high-level meeting on national security, civilian leaders had spoken about the ‘growing diplomatic isolation’ of Pakistan for lack of action against some militant groups.
The army had expressed serious concern over the ‘feeding of false and fabricated story’, terming it a ‘breach of national security’.
On April 29, it rejected as ‘incomplete’ a notification from Prime Minister’s Office.
The tweet came minutes after the PMO said the prime minister had accepted the inquiry committee’s recommendations, which was formed on November 7 last year.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Interior, in a statement on Wednesday, also claimed that the Dawn Leaks issue stood settled.
“Since action on the orders of the prime minister has already been completed by the respective ministries and divisions the issue of Dawn Leaks stands settled,” it said.
The recommendations, also mentioned in the interior ministry handout, included action against Principal Information Officer Rao Tehsin, the removal of Adviser to PM on Foreign Affairs Tariq Fatemi, and action against Dawn Editor Zafar Abbas and correspondent Almeida.
The committee had also called for devising a code of conduct for the print media in dealing with national security issues.
While a ‘lapse’ on part of Pervaiz Rashid vis-à-vis the ‘planted news story’ led to his resignation from the information ministry, Tariq Fatemi and Tehsin were sacked after the inquiry committee held them culpable for the ‘fabricated’ news story.