Has Saudi Arabia barred Qataris from performing Hajj?

Saudi authorities have prevented Qatari nationals from entering the Grand Mosque in Makkah to perform Hajj rituals, Doha-based Al Sharq newspaper has claimed.

Qatar’s National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has received complaints from Qatari citizens that pilgrims from Qatar were barred from entering Masjid al-Haram, Al Jazeera quoted the newspaper as saying on Sunday.

It should be noted that Saudi authorities do not normally question people entering the Grand Mosque on their ethnicity or sectarian affiliation.

Related: Divided They Fall – Cracks in the Middle East

On the other hand, Gulf News has claimed Qatari pilgrims will be able to visit the Kingdom for Haj and Umrah despite the cut in diplomatic ties.

“The Saudi Press Agency last week confirmed that Saudi Arabia is committed to providing all facilities and services to Qatari pilgrims,” the newspaper said.

Nearly a week after Saudi Arabia and several of its allies severed ties with Qatar in an unprecedented Gulf diplomatic crisis, there are no signs of the bitter dispute being resolved.

Related: Iran comes to Qatar’s rescue, sends planes of food

Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and others have accused Qatar of supporting extremist groups, an assertion since backed by US President Donald Trump.

Qatar strongly rejects the allegations and says it is open to talks on ending the dispute, which also saw the three Gulf states order all Qataris out of their countries within 14 days.

SOURCEET
SHARE
Bringing to you the latest news from Pakistan and around the world. Stay connected for more. Share and comment, we love to hear from you.